Regular attendance and punctuality are important to allow children to achieve their full potential during their time at school.
The DfE recommends that each child’s attendance should be above 96%. The Local Authority set each school targets for attendance and West Borough’s target this year is 96%.
Below is a summary of our Attendance Policy which has been agreed by the school Governors. We wish to work closely with parents to ensure that this is a success and welcome any comments you may have.
Things we ask you to do:
- Ensure your child arrives at school between 8.40 and 8.50am
- If your child is late, take them to the office and sign the late book
- Telephone the school and leave a message if your child is going to be away for any reason
- You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send a letter explaining the absence when your child returns to school
- Arrange holidays out of term time
- As per DfE guidelines, we do not authorise holidays during term-time
- If there are exceptional circumstances for the need of leave of absence, please put in writing to the Headteacher
Things we will do:
- Take the register twice a day
- Text after 10am if we have not heard from you and your child is absent
- Send a letter if your child repeatedly arrives late
- Send a letter to ask why your child was absent if we receive no letter of explanation when your child returns to school
- Monitor the registers monthly
- Send letters to alert parents when their child’s attendance falls below 90% for whatever reason
- Monitor closely, children whose attendance is below 90%
- Send a letter warning parents of possible Early Help involvement if there is no improvement in attendance
- Invite you in to discuss continued poor attendance with the FLO and Governors
- Make a referral. Following this, a fixed penalty fine may be issued by the Attendance and Behaviour Service
It is school policy to inform parents when the attendance of their child falls below 90%, regardless of the reasons for absences.
This means that the total percentage of absences will include days of sickness, holidays and medical appointments, plus any periods of unauthorised absence.